This grab-n-go breakfast hits the mark on three big flavor notes with the warmth of chai, cooling notes of creamy yogurt, and tropical overtones from coconut. Organic oats are readily available at local co-ops, major chains and online. Got an early morning meeting? Add a lid to your Chai-Spiced Overnight Oats in a Jar and stash it in your backpack for a nutrition-packed meal at the office.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Sit time: overnight
2/3 cup organic “Old-Fashioned” rolled oats (*not instant or “quick cooking”)
1/2 cup plain fat-free vanilla Greek yogurt
1/2 cup organic 2% milk
1 tsp loose chai tea leaves
2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tablespoon honey, warmed
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1) Place milk in a small, microwave safe container and microwave on high for 1 minute until hot. Place the chai tea leaves in a steeper and submerge the steeper in the warm milk for 4 minutes.
2) In a medium bowl combine the Greek yogurt and honey. Whisk until smooth. Whisk in the chai milk.
3) Add the oats and coconut and mix to combine all ingredients.
4) Spoon the mixture equally into (2) half-pint sized Mason Jars. Cover with a lid, and refrigerate overnight.
5) In the morning, uncover and add ½ cut up banana and 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts to each jar (*if eating both at once; otherwise just add to one jar and save the second for another day). Add more milk if desired and enjoy!
Reprinted with permission from Food Guru, producer of the Cooking Guru web-series at cookinggurutv.com.