Grits derive their goodness from white corn that is stoneground and filtered to achieve a hearty but mushy consistency. These mild cheesy grits are a perfect backdrop to smoky bacon and herbs.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
3 slices bacon, diced & trimmed of excess fat 1 large shallot, diced
1 ¾ cup of water + ¼ cup milk 1/2 cup corn grits (recommend quick cooking type)
⅔ cup grated cheese of choice (shredded Italian Blend or Cheddar recommended).
handful of fresh arugula ½ tsp. olive oil 2 large eggs salt and pepper to taste
1) Sauté diced bacon & shallot over medium heat in a frying pan until cooked & lightly brown (4 to 5 minutes). Set aside.
2) Bring the water & milk to a rolling boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to low, stir in the grits, bacon & shallot. Cover and continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until the grits have thickened.
3) While the grits are cooking, heat a drizzle of olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Crack the eggs into the pan, season with salt & pepper, and cover. Cook over medium until the whites are set but the yolk is still soft. Set aside
4) Remove the grits from the heat. Stir in the cheese and arugula. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5) Spoon the grits into two shallow bowls. Top each bowl with a fried egg.
6) Serve immediately.
Reprinted with permission from Food Guru, producer of the Cooking Guru web-series at cookinggurutv.com.